[HOME] [Archaeology and History ] [Archery] [Arthur] [Biking] [Boadicea] [CAG] [CAMRA] [Castle] [Chariots] [Circus] [CSC] [Festival] [Food and Drink] [Friends] [Ghost Tour] [GOLD] [Heritage] [Heroes] [Local] [Memorial] [Oyster] [Politics] [Postcards] [Pubs] [Quakers] [Recalled] [Re-enactment] [Shirt] [Starvation] [Suffolk Punch] [Tours] [Town Crier] [Town Hall] [Trafalgar] [Virtual] [Wall] [What's New] [Witches]

 

COLCHESTER

CHURCHES

This is a big category and is divided by the 12 medieval parishes by church names, followed by later Anglican churches of the borough and different non-conformist churches and chapels.

Church of England
Non-Conformist
Church of England in the locality

Church of England - Original Borough of Colchester

Inside the Walls

Medieval Parish Churches

8 in total (2 still used for regular worship)

 

All Saints - now the natural history museum

Holy Trinity - redundant

St James (the Great)

St Martin - redundant

St Mary at the Walls - earlier part demolished

St Nicholas - demolished

St Peters

St Runwalds - demolished

 

Outside the Walls

Medieval Parish Churches

4 in total (none used for regular worship)

 

St Botolphs - earlier church demolished

St Giles - now Freemason's HQ

St Leonards - redundant

St Mary Magdalen - demolished

All Saints

212s

All Saints 01

H G R C Photo by Gill. Unused

All Saints 02

C090

Unused card. Poyser Series.

C091

Unused. E Morter's Cards.

C092

Unused. The IXL Series

 

Holy Trinity

(Trinity Street)

Photocrom V2297

Unused

C080

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

C081

Unused. H G R C Photo by Gill.

C082

Sent July 1905? To Mr Claude Goodey of 9 Granville Road, Colchester, by Ernie.

C083

Unused.

C084

Unused. Poyser Series. Saxon Door.

C085

Unused, The Cambria Series. Embossed 'The Sutton School of Art'. Entitled 'Saxon Arch'.

C086

Unused. The poster on the door says V R Year 1892 Inland Revenue Licence.

C087

Unused. The Cambria Series.

Holy Trinity Church with the Town Hall missing. This postcard comes from the collection of Mr David Jeffs and is shown with his kind permission. Whilst the postcard was probably produced around 1905, it uses a photograph that must date from 1901 or earlier, before the present day Town Hall was constructed.

A534

 

St James the Great

(East Hill)

C001

Unposted. Madsen's Ecclesiastical Series. We have two close copies of this card.

C003

C004

C005

C006

Unposted

St James 02

C008

Card sent October 1907 to Miss Flower of Cookham Dene, Berks, by D J.

C012

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

C013

Unused card. The Wyndham Series. W7153

C015

Unused. the Wyndham Series. W7160.

C016

Unused.

A518-398

3284 The Bell Series. Sent to Miss K Kiddle of 29 St John's Green by A G on 16th August 1908. A less common view taken from the southeast corner.

 

St Martins

(West Stockwell Street)

C012

The IXL Series.Sent to Miss S Codd of 5 Wickham Road, Colchester by Milly on April 2nd with Edward VII stamp, no year readable.

C013

date on back 9th July 1922. Unposted.

C014

Unposted. Poyser's Series.

C016

Oscar Way, Royal Studios. Unused.

C017

The Wyndham Series. Unused card.

C018

Unused. H G R C Photo by Gill.

C019

H G R C Photo by Gill. Unused

'The Leper's Squint'

This postcard comes from the collectiion of Mr David Jeffs and is used with his kind permission. It seems to show the squint that looks very different today than it clearly did in what we assume was the 1910's. The church has undergone considerable refurbishment over the years. For today's view, please go here.

A535

 

St Mary at the Walls

(Balkerne Hill - now St Marys Arts Centre)

C030

Sent to Miss K Preston of Swaffham by May on 27th June 1905

C031

Unposted. The Pelham Series, published by Boots.

C032

Sent to Mr Jack Hood of Royston by his sister Emily on March 31st 1911.

C033

Unposted.

C034

Unposted. Poyser and Co. Colchester. Photos by Gill.

C036

S and S C 1/110 unused card.

C037

C039

Card unused.

C040

Unused. H G R C. Photo by Gill.

C041

Unused. H G R C. Photo by Gill.

From a picture at Tymperleys

A530

 

St Nicholas

(High Street - demolished in the 1950s)

C009

Not a postcard but a modern photograph of an old engraving. This shows the much dilapidated church that preceded the later Sir George Gilbert Scott version that follows.

C010

Unposted. 17. M and L National Series.

C011

Unposted. Series 1952

C012

Unposted. 138137

C014

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

C015

JWS 1262. Card posted Agust 1905 to Mr Larsen of West Ealing.

C016

St Nicholas. Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

High Street 59

 

St Peters

(North Hill)

C130

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

C131

Old Door at St Peter's Church. This must be several centuries old. Unused card.

C132

Sent to Mrs Springett of Watford. George V stamp.

C133

Unused. Poysers Series. The sign states 'Dale and Son, Fish and Ice Merchant'.

C134

Unused. H G R C. Photo by Gill.

C135

Sent to Mrs Mansfield of Leytonstone by her son Will in 1915. Poyser and Co.

C136

Sent to Mrs Bonner? of Walton on Naze by LB in May 1904. Stamp removed.

C137

Unused.

C138

Unused. The Wyndham Series. W7154

C139

JWS 1268. Sent to Mrs E Rolph of Harlow by F M. George V Stamp.

 

St Runwalds

(High Street - demolished in the 1850s)

CSRN01

C150

No 310 H G R C Photo by Gill. Unused. This is a pre-photograph postcard showing the church that once stood in the High Street.

Church of England - without the walls

 

St Botolphs

C070

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

C071

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

A144-290

St Botolph's Priory and Church

Sent May 1906 to Miss Shotham? c/o ? Swanston of Clifton. 1134

 

St Giles

(St John's Green)

C100

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

C101

Sent to Mrs Payne of Ilford by M. M and R Series. George V stamp.

 

St Leonard

(Hythe Hill)

HYTHE06

C120

Unused card by H G R C photo by Gill.

C121

Unused card.

C122

Card by H G R C photo by Gill. Sent April 1917 to Mrs Freeman of Ongar

C123

Sent to Miss Stroulger? of Foulsham, Norfolk, by F D A Smith on 21st December 1907.

C124

Unused

 

St Mary Magdalen

(Magdalen Street - demolished in 1980s)

STMARYMAG01

STMARYMAG02

stmarymagd1

A card from the collection of Mr Don Goodman of Colchester. Postally unused.

Church of England - General Colchester Area

 

Christ Church

Christ Church 01.

Later demolished.

C055 Christchurch photograph. Dated August 1955.

C021 St Johns

Unposted.

C022 St Pauls.

Catherine Amelia Topsfield's gravestone.

Sadly this church was all swept away to build housing in 2000s.

C023 St Pauls

Sent 23rd May 1910 to Mr N J Hansford of Seven Kings, Ilford by CHM. Mentions Willie.

C024

St Pauls Church. Unposted card by H G R C photo by Gill. This church was demolished in the 1990's.

A145-580

St Pauls Church. Unposted.

C050

St Barnabas. A photograph dated August 1955.

 

C140

St Andrews, Greenstead. Unposted card by J E Stutter of 11 Errington Road. Wrtten to Auntie Lil, on the occasion of her birthday and from her nieces Florrie, Ethel, Gladys and Olive Cooper.

 

A144-530

St Andrews, Greenstead. Unposted but pencil date of July 1922

A111-814

Stanway Church

A113-1214

All Saints, Stanway (Shrub End) Postmarked George V (1911 to 1936) but no clear date. Franked Shrub End Essex. Sent to Mrs G J Carmichael and Group Captain Carmichael, DSO AFC, RAF Station, Upper Heyford., by 'all at the vicarage'.

A114-1764

All Saints, Stanway (Shrub End) Poyser and Co, Photo by Gill. Unused but with a pencil note of 1906 Rev Gatrill. The Leather Bottle pub sign in view on the right of the picture.

C110 Lexden

Card sent Aug 1904 to Miss A Hockley of 7 Manor Road, Colchester by D H C.

C111

Sent to Mrs J H Case of Crofton Park, London by B W and mentions Isobel, in May 1906.

A151-132

All Saints Church, Shrub End. Sent to Miss E Cardy of Wormingford in May 1907. Marked by glue or some substance.

A153-1379

St Michael's Church at Mile End. Card by Bells' Photo Co Ltd. Unused.

 

The Garrison Church on Military Road

A047-864

Camp Church. Card by E Denison Binns or Mersea Road. Unposted. This church became redundant when the garrison moved to another part fo the town in the 1990's. It was soon to became our Russian Orthodox Church. We also have a Greek Orthodox Church at St Helena's Chapel in Maidenburgh Street.

A048-1287

The Camp Church, Military Road. Card posted December 1911 to Miss E Roberts of Fulham by Elmer. Royal Horse Artillery and others.

Garrison 06

Garrison 10

Garrison 46

C060

Sent to Master Guy Squire of Colne House, Wyvenhoe on 25th November 1903 by Burch?

  A100-482

St Marys Parish Room. Unposted. Bells Photo Co Ltd. 40946. At the moment we do not know which St Marys this building belonged to nor where it was situated.

Catholic

C020

St James the Less, Priory Street. With written note, 'Father Bloomfield's Parish Church.'

C021 St James's (Roman Catholic) Church. Unused card by H G R C, photo by Gill.

A214-470

Unused card by G Strainer? of 6 Chapel Street, Colchester.

 

Non Conformist

(not Church of England Protestant)

A018-410

Stockwell Chapel, East Stockwell Street. This building still standing in 2010. Posted to Mrs H Spooner of Braintree by her son Leonard in September 1907. 2525 Bells Series, John Walker and Co.

A023-541

Friends Meeting House, 1872 date stone, Sir Isaac's Walk. HGRC Photo by Gill. Unposted.

Located on Sir Isaac's Walk and later became known as Rebow Chambers, demolished in 1980's.

A024-445

Eld Lane Baptist church. Date 20th November 1904 written on front of card. Sent to Miss Nailor of Stanfield, Norfolk. HGRC Photo by Gill. Posted November 1904.

This building is still used for worship. The following is taken from their website (Dec 2010):

The Glorious Revolution of 1689 gave toleration to Dissenters. It was then that Colchester baptist Church was formed. In 1690 the Church registered its meeting house in East Stockwell St., just off the High Street, and its minister, John Hammond. In 1711 the church moved to Eld Lane on part of its present site and called John Rootsey as its minister. Rootsey built up the church and made the first contacts which led to Baptist churches in Ipswich.

In 1832 the site of our premises was increased fourfold and the present church was built on it in 1834. This was largely due to the benefactions of Benjamin Nice, a farmer living in Ardleigh.

One of our members at that time, James Paxman asked that his name be removed from the roll due to 'improper conduct'. Thus his son, James Noah Paxman, was brought up in the Church of England. He went on to found the major engineering company that bore his name.

In January 1850 the young Charles Haddon Spurgeon came to a knowledge of Christ in a Sunday morning service in the Primitive Methodist Church in Artillery Street. That evening Spurgeon worshipped at Eld Lane and it is as a Baptist that Spurgeon became the foremost Christian influence in 19th century Britain.

In 1866 with the minister ill but unable to retire Eld Lane looked to Spurgeon, who had just founded the theological college that bears his name, for help. He offered Edward Spurrier as assistant minister and agreed to preach himself twice a year to cover the cost. Spurrier soon had the church in a healthy state. On one of his visits Spurgeon saw the need for a school hall. With a gift and a loan from him the Church was equal to the challenge. In recent years this hall has needed rebuilding but is esentially the hall Spurgeon built.

Spurrier stayed at Eld Lane over 40 years. In that time out-stations were built at at Parsons Heath(Wycliffe) and Blackheath (Orchard). Both are now independent churches.

One of our ministers in subsequent years, Warwick Bailey, served from 1944 to 1972. he was a Borough Councillor for nine years and was mayor of Colchester in 1949/50.

Two further additions have been made to the premises. That in front of the school hall was named after Spurrier and opened in 1923. A wing on the other side was added in 1991. It houses Open Door, founded in 1986 as a welcome to all who want to come on four weekdays.

CELB01

Eld Lane Baptist Church on the right and the Spurrier Memorial (now demolished) on the left.

Eld 02

Headgate 01

This chapel building still exists but is now the Headgate Theatre.

A037-612

Wesleyan Church, inscribed 1835-1900. H G R C Photo by Gill. Unposted. This chapel was in Culver Street.

Demolished.

Lion Walk 01

The steeple is the only part of this church that still stands and has become an integral part of the present day Lion Walk Congregational Church.

Lion Walk 02

H G R C Photo by Gill. Sent August 1904 to Miss Alice Ward, c/o Mrs Newton of Clacton on Sea by E W.

Lion Walk 03

H G R C Photo by Gill. Sent to Miss L Bowner of 9a Short Wyre Street with a note that Lion Walk School Room had £209 for two days. Stamp removed so no date.

Wesleyan Church, Wimpole Road

 

email sdapeze@aol.com

 

Can any of you identify any particular details from these views?

More pictures can be found at the following links.

PAGE 1.

THE HIGH STREET
THE CASTLE
THE GARRISON
THE TOWN HALL
   

PAGE 2.

ALL SAINTS
BALKERNE
CROUCH STREET
EAST HILL
ELD LANE
GREYFRIARS
HARWICH ROAD
HEADGATE
HOLY TRINITY
HOSPITAL
HYTHE
IPSWICH ROAD
LEXDEN
LION WALK
MIDDLEBORO
MIDDLE MILL
NORTH BRIDGE
NORTH HILL

 PAGE 3.

NORTH STATION RD
NORTH VIEW
SCHEREGATE
SIEGE HOUSE
ST BOTOLPHS
ST GILES
ST JOHNS
ST LEONARDS
ST MARTINS
ST MARY AT THE WALL
ST MARY MAGDALEN
STOCKWELL
ST RUNWALD
WIMPOLE ROAD
GENERAL

 OTHER PAGES.

PRE 1900 PICTURES
DAVID MAY TRIBUTE
COLCHESTER CHURCHES
MISCELLANEOUS

page created 290610

updated 010815

 Site Hosted

by

 

weebly reliable statistics