[HOME]

 

PAGE 2 of 3

The following pictures are taken from old postcards and some photographs.

email Sdapeze@aol.com

There are a lot of postcards here so, if your computer is a little on the slow side, please allow plenty of time for the pictures to load.

PAGE 1.

THE HIGH STREET
THE CASTLE
THE GARRISON
THE TOWN HALL
   

PAGE 2.

ALL SAINTS
BALKERNE
CROUCH STREET
EAST HILL
ELD LANE
GREYFRIARS
HARWICH ROAD
HEADGATE
HOLY TRINITY
HOSPITAL
HYTHE
IPSWICH ROAD
LEXDEN
LION WALK
LONG WYRE STREET
MIDDLEBORO
MIDDLE MILL
NORTH BRIDGE
NORTH HILL

 PAGE 3.

NORTH STATION RD
NORTH VIEW
SCHEREGATE
SIEGE HOUSE
ST BOTOLPHS
ST GILES
ST JOHNS
ST LEONARDS
ST MARTINS
ST MARY AT THE WALL
ST MARY MAGDALEN
STOCKWELL
ST RUNWALD
WIMPOLE ROAD
GENERAL

DAVID MAY TRIBUTE

PAGE

BREWERIES
CARNIVAL
CEMETERY
GREYFRIARS
GRYMES DYKE
INDUSTRY
MAYORAL
PAGEANT
PEOPLE
PUBS
SCHOOLS
SHOPS & PREMISES
STREETS
THEATRES
TRAMS and TRANSPORT and RAILWAYS
TYMPERLEYS
LOCALITY

 OTHER PAGES

(not all are postcards).

PRE 1900 PICTURES
COLCHESTER CHURCHES
MISCELLANEOUS
RAILWAY

 

ALL SAINTS

1 - 280

Series 1952, date in pencil 16/8/30

postally unused

now our natural history museum

2 -

Postally unused. 1920's?

3 - 205

All Saints Curch interior, unused, before it became the St Mary's Art Centre, base for the Colchester Beer Festival and other profane activities!

BALKERNE

1 - 948

Jumbo and the Balkerne Gate

2 - 350

15210, unused

3 - 464

2114, Posted August 1906 to Miss G Bengough of Crediton

4 - 260

The Balkerne Gate from the North East, postally unused, English Life Publications, Derby, 8913L

Response by email 060707

Thank you for the latest Colchester Postcard series, it is so good to see the town again as it was when I was a boy. On page 2 ref. 4-260 on the right hand side looking up Balkerne Hill is a white looking house with a window which looks north down the hill. This house was no. 38 Balkerne Lane, where I lived from 1941 - 1948. I was 8 when we, the Everitts, left.

This is the only picture I have ever seen of the house where my wartime experiences and family dramas were experienced. Any chance of a copy please? I'd like my sons to see where they came from with its outside lavatory, the copper next to it where a fire was lit to heat water for the weeky wash, and fill the tin bath which was placed in front of the fire range for weekly baths. Paul Everitt.

5 - 395

51698 by Photochrom Co Ltd, unused.

A226-60

Unused card published by F W Pawsey and Sons, Ipswich.

A405-157

Poyser Series. sent 29th Jul 1908 to Miss Malling of Wells next the Sea by M A W Westfields

P565-750

not a postcard. A pencil drawing by Holmes Winter c1900.

CROUCH STREET

1 - sold

In the 1960s, just before Balkerne Lane was widened and Crouch Street was split in two.

2 - 1175

HGRC by Gill

postally used, George V stamp, date unclear, sent to Mrs Measures of Peterborough by her daughter Anne

3 - 901

24/16 258 The British Mirror Series unused

4 - 385

S6754, unused

5 - 684

The IXL Series. Posted to Mrs P Beckett of Bedingham, Stamp missing so undated. From Bess. The camera in Headgate by the Fox and Fiddler, looking west. Shops Moore and Rice shown. Also a harness maker and a bookseller.

6 - kb02

10 80915, posted April 1911

A053-2191

Crouch Street looking east. HRCL No 37. Webber and Horwood. Walkers Motor Depot. Sent Jan 1914 to Miss Hicks of Black Notley .

A097-1227

8181 26 Sent to J Goodrum Esq of Ketteringham by sister May and brother in law George on 6th March 1912.

A270-2376 sold

Posted July 1911 to Mrs Weis.... of Holloway. In pencil, much smudged.

A314-345

Not a postcard. A reproduction photograph only showing the old Odeon cinema. Derelict in 2013 with plans for demolition or restoration or conversion.

EAST HILL

(see also GREYFRIARS further down)

1 - 809

East Hill looking west

IXL

postally unused

2 - 1017

44 Postally Unused

My grandfather was working at this mill in 1929.

I used to live on the Harwich Road, very close to the East Gates railway crossing. I used to walk past this mill everyday on my way to school, St. James Primary; not the new one. The old one used to stand on the opposite side of the road to the present school. It was a old Victorian, three classroom building, long demolished.

I can still remember the old barges tied up to the wharf unloading the grain.

Post card No. Five, East Street. You ask the question, does anybody remember the petrol station? It was called Days Garage, and was situated on the corner of East Street and Brook Street. This area was known as East Bay. I had a school friend who lived a couple of doors up from the garage.

Colin Andrews. (September 2007)

3 -

Postally unused (although we have seen another version of this card which was used in 1913). The Thames barge shown in the picture has Colchester on the stern and probably named "Maid o'the Mill". Details and comments are:

Built 1888 at Rochester, Kent by George W. Gill. 45 registered tons, spritsail rigged, fitted with Taylor and Neates patented screw steering gear. Owners included W. Marriage of Colchester, E. Marriage of Colchester and H. Cunis of London. Broken up in 1930 at Nortons Yard, Charlton, on the R. Thames. Marriage was the company that owned East Mill, Colchester.

The pictures must therefore have been taken no earlier than 1888 as Marriages were the 1st. owners and used her from new.

Up until 1874 such barges were built with massive wooden tillers to steer them. After that date screw gearing systems were progressively introduced. In the early years they were a novelty - a hi-tech approach of their day! They were less tiring to operate and allowed longer barges to be built whilst still being controllable.

We must thank Mr Mike Wignall for this information.

Please view his website at:

www.thamesmatch.co.uk

 

4 - 800

Posted August 1961 to Master M Batie of Sevenoaks from Aunty Rosie. M and L National Series

5 - sold

The same card but in black and white. M and L National Series No. 5. Can anybody remember the petrol station on the left? This card is unused.

The petrol station was ‘Days Garage’ owned by a Mr Watson and his wife. He also operated Watsons Taxis.

Originally the petrol pumps were on the pavement on the corner of Brook Street. Sometime in 48 or 49 the pumps were moved to the position shown in the photograph. In those days your tank was filled for you and usually ‘Tommy’ was the one who operated the pump, 10 gallons (42 litres) for £1.00.

We lived in Greenstead Road from January 1947 until March of 1955, I was 22 when we left. My Dad owned an ice cream business, Orchard Creameries, as well as the snack bar on Scheregate Steps and the East Bay Hotel which was diagonally opposite Days Garage.

I went to school at CRGS and there met Geoff Wade who remained my best friend for 55 years, until he passed away in 2002.

Where now are the friends of one's youth who, in our minds, never grow any older?

Bob Gooderson - October 2007

Thanks Bob!

6 - 335

Another unused black and white card, but this time showing Greyfriars College on the left (previously as nunnery/convent) and the Minories on the right. Judges No. 29118.

7 - 465

The Rose and Crown and East Street, CHR6, Masons Alpha Series, posted 11th July 1959 to Mrs H Gratton of Cork, Ireland.

8 - x

This card was kindly sent to us by Mr Bob Gooderson whose father, Mr R H Gooderson, once owned the East Bay Hotel (east side of the Goat and Boot pub on East Hill). He believes that it dates from 1953 or 4.

9 - 851

Marriages Mill. 26. Excel Series? Postally unused but damaged on back from pasting into a book. Name of barge unclear. It seems to be something like ......WEL and LONDON

10 - 850

Old Houses in East Street, postally unused. Poyser and Co, Photo by Gill, 7399

11 - kb05

Card by Valentine 57084, posted Sep 1907

12 - kb16

unused, undated, card by S & SC

13 - kb17

1159, posted May 1906

14 - 707

East Mills and Bridge, S and SC 2610, unused. The mast and sails had to be lowered to get under the bridge and then, presumably, raised again to offload.

15 - 189

The Old Coach House, East Bay. Unused card by M and L National Series. This building was at one time the Rose and Crown Inn, closed around 1910. In the 1950's it re-opened as a pub, having been heavily restored by Mrs Faithfull-Roper. See the Inns, Taverns and Pubs of Colchester for more details.

16

W7157 The Wyndham Series.The building in the foreground was known as Frere House and was demolished in the 1930s. The Wetzlar Gardens now occupy the space.

 

thanks for the correction Philip Beeton!

A049-1721

East Hill. Card by H G Rogers No 14. Sent Dec 1911 to Mrs Reywell of 23 Ireton Road by Mrs Parker of Kensington.

A062-1665

Aerial Photo of East Mills. Unposted.

A118-580

78 East Hill. Unposted but written on. To Mrs Whiting of Endholme, Elmstead, from EEA - presumably the lady in the picture. Card stamped J E Stutter of 11 Errington Road, Colchester.

A pencil note states that No 82 was Franco's Ristorante in 1990.

A159-965

Not a postcard but a photograph of Marriage's Mill at East Bay and dated from the 1930's.

A030-588

Greyfriars Convent on East Hill. 2536 Bells Photo Co Ltd. Unposted

A212-2084

Sent April 1912 to Mr A L Fenton of Braintree by his daughter Bess and mentions Peggy. No publisher but references of 8175 and 18. Shows shops on the left of Ford, Newman and what was presumably the Whalebone pub. The Colchester Brewing Company brewery on the left.

A215-1869

Posted December 1905 to Mrs Warner of Clacton-on-Sea, a Christmas wish from all at 82 Station Road, F E B. The view shows Marriage's Mill.

A219-1584

Entitled East Bay. A view of the Siege House as it is now known. An unused card looking west along East Street and over the bridge. The sign on the buildings show, 'Marraiges. Straw and Offal'.

D003

An unused card of horse and cart preumably at Marriages Mill. The cart has signwriting that says, E Marriage and Son Ltd, East Mill, Colchester.

A348-1985

Lilywhite Ltd, Copyright, Clr 20. Unused.

A383-1547

24/4 270 A sign on the left shows A Cater, bird stuffer and confectioner (an interesting combination!). Card sent 21st February 1918 to H J Swift of Chelsea by Bert.Card by the British Series.

A391-725

57084 Valentine's Series. Sent 21st July 1907 to Mr L Warnes of Tottenham by A.

A403-179

unused card. Published by Ernest Joyce and Co of Norwich. Plastichrome. The Gate House, Colchester EJE 421 P36352.

A550-250

Unused card by Eric Wilson, Doddinghurst. 'The Rose and Crown Hotel'.

ELD LANE

1 - 833

Scheregate Steps and the Clarence Pub, postally unused, Valentines 63383

2 - 557

Eld Lane Baptist Church and the Spurrier Memorial, postally unused

3 - 1810

Real Photograph by HGR, No 33. Posted May 18th 1918 to Mrs Sansome of Horton Road, Bradford by Jas Hy. C Watkinson, Carpenter and Undertaker sign shown. The Clarence pub on the right, Scheregate Steps on the left.

4 -

GREYFRIARS

Our postcards start from a period when this building was a Catholic convent. In France in 1903, laws were enacted that which removed various religious congregations from the country. This led to the Dames of Nazareth, founded in Normandy in 1922, to take up residence at Greyfriars. By 1904, through the help of Father Bloomfield at nearby St James the Less in Priory Street, Greyfriars was extended which enables the nuns to open it up as a day and boarding school for girls. After the First World War hostilities had ceased and with a relaxation of the anti-Catholic laws in France in September 1919, the twenty three Dames of Nazareth returned to France and their school was closed in 1922. It later became the High School for Girls. All these changes are reflected in our postcards, the early ones with messages in French and addressed to locations in France and Belgium.

1 - 480

postally used dated 1906, sent to Mlles. Van Ash in Belgium

2 - 414

Grey Friars Convent, Colchester. Postmarked 1910. Sent to Mademoiselle Cl Allemand of Hyeres, France.

4 - 433

Dining Hall

Unused, P A Buchanan and Co, Croydon

5 - 433

Unused, P A Buchanan and Co, Croydon

6 - 433

Unused, P A Buchanan and Co, Croydon

A030-588

Greyfriars Convent on East Hill. 2536 Bells Photo Co Ltd. Unposted

HARWICH ROAD

1

Harwich Road looking north

RAP Co Ltd 9158

postally unused

HEADGATE and HEAD STREET

1 - 1425

unused, HGRC by Gill

2 -

M Series, marked no. 378, postally unused

3 - $2.40

postally unused, looking south

4 - 579

Head Street looking north with the Fleece Hotel and Halfords in view. Posted 1920's to Miss Hanks of Woodstock, Exclusive Crano Series 51697.

5 - 1130

Head Street looking north showing tram number 10, a horse and dray, the premises of A and E P Baker, etc. Postally used March 1910, sent to Mrs M Millbank of Wethersfield. Card by the Rapid Photo Printing Co Ltd with reference V310-5

6 - 925

Souvenir of the opening of the Colchester Electric Tramways, 28th July 1904 at Headgate Corner

W Gill photo posted 28 Jul 1904 to Mrs J Hughes of Long Lane, Finchley

7 - 399

posted 1911

8

S0738, unused

9 - 129

Frith CCR10 unused card

A163-1500

No 102. Sent to Mrs Austin of Thornton Heath by Florence Jones in 1906.

A274-1156

No 29 Posted April 1915 to Mrs E J Russell of Addiscombe by Eddy. No 5 tram and Royal Studio.

A275-1381 sold

Gallifent and Lovell on left. Tram No 8 to Lexden. Griffin on the right. Some sorty of procession behind the tram. Card by Whitfield and Cosser. Unposted.

A307-1049

unused and undated card by K Ltd showing the view northward from the corner of Butt Road and Crouch Street.

A343-750

G6835 unused Valentines. Murdoch's on left.

A364-800

7152 The Wyndham Series. Posted 13th Oct 1904 to Mr Skelly of Head Street Colchester by H Sargant. He was saying that Skelly should not expect him tonight, a clear belief that the card would be delivered the same day.

A378-390

C6609 Unused card by E T W Dennis and Sons Productions. Dated c1970.

HOLY TRINITY

1 - 420

Holy Trinity Church with the Town Hall in the background

A971/713

postally unused

2 - 567

Unused, V2297

3 - 139

Posted April 1907 to Mr S Joffre of Lyon, France, from Pierre

4 - 260

postally unused, S and S C

5 - 371

Unused card, S and S C.

6 -

Masons Alpha CHR7 card, unused. c1955. Richards Shops on Culver Street. WNO 539 Riley 1500? car registration.

7 -

A182-324

Sent April 1910 to Miss Gabrielle Dickens of West Kilburn. This card appears to show a background without the 1902 completed Town Hall. This is probably therefors a photograph from before 1902.

A213-299

Unused card by Harvey Barton and Son Ltd. Ref 60192

TYMPERLEYS

A109-1210

HGRC Photo by Gill. Card unused. This building is thought to have once been part of Sir William Gilberd's house. It later became home to Mr Bernard Mason who was a collector of old clocks. When he died he left the building and clock collection to the borough and they turned it into a clock museum. It was under the threat of closure as a museum in October 2010.

Looking at this modern day picture of the same building, so much has been done to alter it. See also the shops and commercial premises section and look for E N Mason and Son, for further details.

A206-298

Unused card from the 1920's. OT 531 car plate.

A450-520

Sent to Mr Percy Crofts of West Bromwich by Flo on 13th August 1904.

HOSPITAL

1 - 459

Essex and Colchester General Hospital

24/23 British Mirror series

postmarked Jul 1906, Mrs J Storkey, Leiston

2 - 460

Posted April 1918 to Mrs Baker of Walthamstow from Harry

3 -

Essex County Hospital Staff c1912

Left to Right

Back Row - 2 Spooner, 3 Moffat, 4 White

Second Row - 4 Dr Chichester, 5 Dr P Laver, 6 Dr Clowes, 10 Stribling, 11 Wilkinson

Third Row - 4 Dr Curl, 5 Matron Buckham, 6 Dr Nicholson, 10 Mitchell

Who are all the others?

4 - 425

The Hospital - Valentines Series, posted to Miss Rosie Milne of Hampton Hill on 25th July 1903 by NM.

5 - 1030

New Children's Ward, card sent Miss Olive Seatt of London N22 by Minnie on 27th March 1918. Photo by Gill.

A060-621

A Gill and Son card showing a well decorated hospital ward. Perhaps at Christmas. On the back in pencil it says Essex County Hospital 1912. Unposted.

A220-904

Unused card by M and R C. Picture shows a gathering of cars and military men, soldiers, etc.

A267-553

Unposted. Royal Studio. In ink, In loving memory of dear Aunt Eliza who died the 15th Feb 1922 aged 71 years. The female ward of the hospital, presumably Colchester.

A316-450

unused card by raphael Tuck and Sons, Series 2121 Colchester

A425-696

V310-8 The Rapid Photo Company. Colchester Hospital and Nurses Home

A437

Posted 30th Oct 1934 to Miss Lil Carter of Layer Breton Lodge

HYTHE

1 - 1015

Hythe Quay looking east

57088 Valentines

postmarked Nov 1908, E Carstairs, Almondsbury, Huddersfield

 

 

 

 

 

 

A386-550

The same postcard but in black and white only. This has enabled us to see that the boat on the left has the name 'Esther' and the signwriting on the building says, 'Francis and Co, Corn and Seed Merchant'. Posted 23rd August 1918 to Mr H E Wilton of Ipswich. 63385 Valentine.

2 - 1217 (Sold)

Colchester Hythe Quay

No 19, postally unused. High quality black and white version not shown here but image available. Same as view shown.

 

2c - 838

HGRC from photo by Gill. posted 23rd Dec 190 3 or 5. Christmas version in colour. To Miss Winnie Luen? of Frinton, from Maude,

3 - 616

and (A207-999) in colour

Postmarked Sep 1946, to Miss Catherine Gladwell, Surrey .

In February 2008 we received the following feedback:

The sailing barge on the right of the picture is the 55 ton "Paglesham" built in 1877 at Paglesham by Kemp for A.J.Meeson of Battlesbridge as a wedding present for his wife.

Meeson owned several barges and the flour mills at Battlesbridge.

For many years "Paglesham" was skippered by Bob Eves of Wivenhoe, and later, Dick Daniels.

"Paglesham" was sold to W.H. Theobald of Leigh on sea (trading as Leigh Building Supplies) and was generally employed carrying softwood from the Surrey docks.

The postcard shows her having just discharged a timber cargo at Groom Daniels wharf.

In April 1944 "Paglesham" loaded Kentish wheat in Whitstable harbour for London. She survived the war and was in the Surrey docks in 1947 loading timber when she was sunk by a steamer, she was "raised but condemned" and was acquired by the Sea Scouts as a guardship and was broken up around 1953.

"Imperial" was requisitioned, during the war for the storage and delivery of ammunition to ships coming in to the Chatham dockyard and afterwards rebuilt and converted into a motor barge for London and Rochester Trading Co. (1949 on) she was laid up around 1958 and became a houseboat at Temple Marsh, Strood, Kent and derelict by 1961.

Colin Swindale.

4 - 2185

Hythe Docks, 13, poster 7th May 1913, from the barge Albert.

Sir, your letter to hand on Tuesday morning. Sir we shall finish unloading Thursday and be leaving for Ipswich on Friday morning for timber farm. Yours truly, H Spicer. Sent to Mr A Hutson, Flair Meadow, Maidstone, Kent

~~~~~~~~

On the left of picture is the 100 ton Gem, originally a coal fired sailing steamer built of iron in South Shields in 1881 and registered in Colchester that year, 80ft x 16ft with a 20hp steam engine. Gem was the last of the Colchester "passage boats" from 1902-1914, skippered by David Francis and trading occasionally to Holland, and sometimes to Poole, Dorset, but mainly from Colchester and Mistley to London.

Thanks to Colin Swindale for this additional information - March 2008

The barge on the left is Gem of Colchester. The vessel on right is Dina Joanna. The rowing boat far left has markings but illegible. The middle vessel equally so.

5 - 385

An unused picture of Hythe Quay showning the Spirality of London, M and L National Series, No. 57.

We are indebted to Mr Mike Wignall of

www.thamesmatch.co.uk

Which provides the future programme, results and history of the Thames Sailing Barge Match itself, which was founded in 1863 and is still running.

Mike very kindly identified one of the barges shown on the Hythe section. Here follows his comments:

Postcard 3-616 shows "Imperial". She was a Thames sailing barge which had a very characteristic main/top mast and sail arrangement with a massive spar at 30-45 degrees, the base pivoting almost at deck level i.e. spritsail rigged. This rig is quite unmistakeable once you know what you're looking for and it is easy to pick out a Thames sailing barge amongst a forest of masts of various vessels in photos - based on their spritsail rig.

In the card she is shown as belonging to "LRTC" [cut in/painted above her name] which was the 19-20th. century London & Rochester Trading Co., based at Frindsbury, near Strood, in Kent on the R. Medway. She's shown as being registered in London and she was built in the East Greenwich bargeyard of Shrubsall, in 1902 and was owned by one Valentine Colchester of Ipswich. She was of 53 registered tons, length 84.6 ft., beam 19.2 ft and draught 5.9 ft.

She was sold on in 1925 to another company "Rands", who sold her on again to the LRTC in 1934. This company was keen on racing their working barges in the annual Thames Match and annual Medway Match where they competed against their arch-rivals in the sailing barge transport industry - F. T. Everard & Sons. "Imperial" came 1st. in 1902, and 3rd. in both the 1928 and 1933 Thames Matches. She came 1st. in 1902, 3rd. in 1929 and 2nd. in 1930 in the Medway Match. LRTC converted her from a sailing barge to a motor barge in 1949. She finally ended her days as a hulk in the vicinity of the Temple Marsh & Strood Yacht Club.

The photo the postcard was made from must therefore have been taken sometime from 1934 onwards.

6 - 300

St Leonards Church on Hythe Hill, postally unused.

Here follows Hythe 7, an oil painting of the docks at the Hythe. It is not a postcard but it is a delightful scene.

8 - 300

2124, card sent August 1906 to Miss Bengough of the Rectory in Crediton.

A357-677 as above but not coloured

124 7386 Posted 21st August 1914 to Miss V Smith of Alne, Wilts by PJK.

A027-1151

The Hythe quayside. Sent to Master Hugh Wyatt of Bognor Regis by Nannie and mentioning Podge. Dated March 1931. Corner missing. At least 15 Thames barges shown in the view. This first boat appears to have the name Centaur.

More information about the Centaur and the Pudge at:

www.bargetrust.org

We received a note in March 2012 about this picture as follows:

Dear Sir,

I wish to point out that the sailing barge Centaur shown on image A027-1151 is the Rochester Centaur not the Harwich registered barge that is still active.

Regards.

Ron Green - member of The Society for Sailing Barge Research and Mersea Island Museum

 

 

 

also,

A534-560

unused card, Series 1952

A064-2176

A photograph not a postcard. On the back is written, British spritsail barge George Smeed (64 tons net, built 1882) at Colchester, 24th June 1955. A classic view of the Hythe quayside with coal piles and the gas tanks.

A071-495

A photograph not a postcard. On the back is written, Dutch MV Coria (390 tons gross, built 1952) at Colchester, 13th May 1971. Another classic view of Hythe quayside, a little further east than the above picture.

A087-1217

Old House and Church, Hythe Hill. 8158 24. Sent to Miss Nell K Smith of Great Bentley, by Edna, on 13th August 1914. Weslyan Methodist Church notice board.

A142-204

Clr 23. The Dolphin pub, Daniells and Sons. Card by Lilywhite Ltd, Triangle. Posted Aug 1930 to Mrs Beattie Dodman of Tottenham, London by Ettie of Wiston Mill, Nayland and a note saying that Aunt Ettie is at 53 now.

A143-1000

Clr 7. Card by Lilywhite Ltd, Triangle. Posted Sep 1930 to Mrs Beattie Dodman of Tottenham, London by Ettie of Eltham, Kent.

A155-420

An unposted card but written on the back it says, 'on the left, the SS Oakover or Guernsey and on the right the SS James Tennant of Newcastle , under the Vickers Crane, at Hythe, Colchester, taken Friday March 25th 1921'. The crane was that of the Moler brickworks and the view looks east.

A156-747 sold

An unused but much handled card by Whitfield Cosser and Co. The barge on the right has the name John Evelyn. The markings on the barge on the left are unclear but the owners seem to be Jarvis and Sons.

A157-747

RA Series postcard. Unused.

A159-965

Not a postcard but a delightful scene nevertheless. From c1905 with Parry's oil mill to the rear. The barge is loaded with hay, presumably to be taken to London for a return load of manure for the Essex fields. Gasometer to the left. No boat names readable. Two bowler hatted gentlemen are on the quay looking down at the lighter. Possibly the Horseshoes pub behind them. Two flat capped men sit on the right bank surveying the view.

A164-1360

unused

 

 

 

also,

A385-189, in black and white but no better detail, unposted.

A165-400

Published by Poyser and Co, card by Gill. Sent December 1910 to Miss Mabel Gordon of Catford by Horace. The nearest boat is named Esther. This picture appears elsewhere on this site but in colour and with less detail.

A171-285

A photograph of Borelly at the Hythe in 1956.

A221-1899

Card sent Sep 1931 to Miss C(hrissie) M Cole of Looe by Jon?

A236-800

Owen Parry Oil Mills. Postmarked 16th January 1908 but no stamp present. Sent to Mr H Trigg of Newport, Essex. An official printed card on the rear stating price alteration of linseed and cotton cakes.

A237-995

Hythe Hill. Card sent 10th September 1906 to Miss D Cant of Maidenburgh Street, Colchester. Message in pencil. Mention of Louisa and Jack.

A339-480

The Festivity. Published by F W Pawsey and Sons. Unused.

A379-199

Card by Poyser and Co, photo by Gill, 7405, sent (Edward VII stamp, date unclear) to Miss M Osborne of Loughborough, by Sid.

A427-699

Lilywhite Ltd. Unposted by back filled with handwritten note. The first boat is named Vera.

IPSWICH ROAD

1

Ipswich Road roundabout c1935

9158 RAP Co Ltd

postally unused

LEXDEN

1 - 1282

Lexden Park looking north

50686 Valentines

Postmarked Aug 1908, Wilfred Fallen, Balham Hill

2

The Sun pub on the right

IXL Series printed in Germany

postally unused

 

3

RAF Co Ltd 9158

postally unused

4 - 420

Lexden Road

Sep 1904, Master Donald Schaby?, c/o Mr Selsby, comment that this is where Bill Bailey takes his walk.

5 - 600

unused, M and R C

6 - 600

S and S C  Postally unused

7 - SOLD

Lexden Church, postmarked August 1930 to Miss M A Ainsworth, Mayor Street, Bolton, from Florrie

8 - 584

Entitled Lexden Village, this card was posted in January 1906 to Miss Drury of Brentwood by Chaney.

9 - 874

Postmarked 28th July 1910 to Miss ereant of Sta Saviors, Jersey, from ? 147 7379

10 - 290

Valentines 57089, unused

11 - 2252

Wellesley Road looking north towards Lexden Road. Posted August 10th 1906 to Mr G Hurrell of Ilford. Marked 2607 on back.

12 - kb19

2150, unused, by S & SC

A059-3070

15 London Road, Lexden. Tram in the distance. Card sent to Mrs W H Gale of Enfield. Date unclear by George V stamp and a year starting with 191-.

A088-570

3. Sent August 1933 to Mr and Mrs Martham of Norwich by Dick.

A235-684

unused card by Boots Cash Chemists 'Pelham' Series No 1001. Note the donkey and cart.

(see the colour version below)

A248-819

W7180 Wyndham Series. Unused

A252-819

W7180 Wyndham Series. This is the same card as the previous but with the exception that it has been coloured. Because of this, a little of detail has been lost. Sent 27th November 1905 to Miss Kelley of Leadenham

A253-2140

Tram Terminus at Lexden. No 148. Tram No 10. Card sent 7th August 1906 to Mrs H Fricker of Ipswich.

A258-199

unposted

A262-719

No 147. Sent 1st October 1907 to Mis E Johnston? c/o Miss Bawtree of Lexden Road

A289-359

Old Oil Mills, Lexden. There is an interesting story behind this card. A reservoir was created there and still exists today, if you know where to look. HGRC Photo by Gill. Posted (Edward VII stamp) to Mrs K Watson of Battersea by, what looks like, Fred Maybury, who seems to have been an actor, playing Demon Rat in Kennington Panto. He asks after Louis.

A292-615

9014 Boots Cash Chemists 'Pelham' Series. 9014 Unposted.

(see black and white version above.)

A323-245

Unused card by W. Lexden Springs

A538-325

Raphael Tuck and Sons 'Oilette' of Lexden Springs. 7209. Unused.

 

LION WALK CHURCH

1 - SOLD

Card recalling the Colchester Earthquake in 1884

Posted April 1906 to Hugh Rooney from his mother

362 H G R C

Note the missing piece off the spire. Only the tower now stands in the centre of the Lion Walk shopping area.

2 -

postmarked August 1906, to Miss Bolton of Hoddesdon, from A Turner, commenting that 'this is a view of Rev F Y Leggatt's church'. Photo by Gill, H G R C

3 - 360

Lion Walk Church interior, HGRC Photo by Gill, postally unused

A189-545

Sent 20th October 1906 to Miss Coombs of Sudbury. Card by John Walker and Co, London.

LONG WYRE STREET

18 - 965

Long Wyre Street around 1910, looking north. Unused card , M Series No 386

 

see also A336 below

A336-660

Long Wyre Street looking north from Eld Lane. A similar view to card 18 above but this view shows the sign of the Rainbow public house on the right of the street. Unused. The Woodbury Series No 1156.

 

 

and

 

 

KB08

This is the same card as above but it has been hand coloured. Note the loss of detail.

A447-655

Sent to Miss Lizzie Turner, c/o Mr Rice of Ipswich on 14th July 1905

MIDDLE MILL

1 - 487

Middle Mill

The Star Series

George V stamp, Pte Ernie H Everett, Weeley

2 - sold

postally unused

3 - sold

Photograph

postally unused

4 -

Middle Mill at Colchester (since demolished). Postally unused but written on back from Edith to Charles and dated 14 July 1937

5

S8052 by Kingsway. Sent Oct 1919 to Miss Cissy Whitbread of Manchester by Dad? and Jennie

6

W7167 The Wyndham Series. Unused.

7

H G R C Photo by Gill. Unused.

A146-290

24/14 260 The British Mirror Series. Sent to Miss Grace Culham of Balham in August 1909.

A190-475

Photo by Gill. H G R C.Postage stamp removed. Card sent to Miss Bonner of Gt Portland Street, London by Lily.

A341-1000

Unposted. 1880 marked but is that the date or a serial number?

A562-320

24/35 The Knight Collection. Unused.

An Original mid-20th Century Acrylic on Canvas Painting of Middle Mill, Castle Park, Colchester in Essex by Les Burrows.

Middle Mill in Castle Park, Colchester was first known in the 1100s and was the King’s Mill and part of Colchester Castle. The mill, which was a corn mill, was repaired many times over the centuries. In the 1930s the mill changed ownership and the machinery was stripped out , in the early 1950s the local council took over the mill and then demolished it. This painting was completed in 1953 just before the demolition of the mill and so is a historical record of such a locally important building. Not a postcard but this image placed here for interest and for the sheer beauty of it.

MIDDLEBOROUGH

1 - sold

Tram No 3 at Middleborough c1920

2 - x

The Cattle Market

donated image

 

 

also,

 

 

A540-958

Unused.

A051-1921

Middleborough No 7 Sent to Miss Ethel Welch of Tunbridge Wells on Oct 9 year unknown but George V stamp. Sender at 2 Shrubland Road. Market Tavern of Daniells and Son in the background, flock of sheep in the foreground.

MILE END

1 - 716

S and S C 2613 unused

2 - 1094

Mile End Street, sent to Miss Elliott of 200 Old Kent Road, S E London on 9th Sept 1909 by Dolly

3 -

The New Asylum, Myland

Published by W Tipper, Newsagent, Myland, posted 1912? to Mrs Stuart of Dublin by Bridie Delahenty?

A173-4861

An aerial view of Severalls Hospital. R14404.Unused card by Aerofilms Ltd.

A416-3460

Severalls Mental Hospital from the air. No 3904. By Surrey Flying Services. Pencil not saying that the pictures was taken in September 1925. Unposted.

NORTH BRIDGE

1 - 495

North Bridge

50645 JV

Harry to Ethel, no date

2 - 250

S and S C, Dated Apr 1905

To Miss L Stebbins of Saxmundham from Grace

3 - 625

Valentines Series 57347. Posted between 1911 and 1935 (George V stamp). to Miss E Gardiner of Great Oakley.

4 - 191

Unused, Valentines Series, 220487, c1930

5 - kb13

A975/715 84346, posted Aug 1909, W H S & Son

 

also,

 

D018

posted Aug 15 year unclear but Ed VII. to Miss G Harrison of Edgbaston by Syd. W H S and Son.

A184-159

10 256 Unposted.

D015

989 6214 Unused.

D016

A view from North Bridge. Unused.

D017

The Castle Inn. Unused.

D019

Sent to Master Teddie Hemingway of Darfield, Yorks on 1st Jan 1910 by scratched out but mentions Antonio. Poyser Series.

D020

67347 JV. Valentines Series. Unused.

D021

Heraldic Series by W H S and Son. Unused.

D024

Sent to Miss M Kingsbury of Maldon on 5th April 1913 by W.

D025

Published by H Smith, 40 North Hill, unused.

D026

41147 Unused.

D027

Unused

D036

1112 unused.

 

 

 

 

also,

 

 

 

 

A443-395

Sent to Miss Win Taylor of Tooting by Alf? on 9th August 1909.

D037

Published by W Howe General Stores, 34 North Hill. Unused. 5813-294

D038

50685 JV Sent to Mrs E Wareham in Dorset on 6th May 1919 by Alf who was aexpecting to be demobbed. Joslin advertisement on side of the tram.

D040

The IXL Series. Sent 15th July 1907 to Mrs Ethel Bowman of Snettisham by George at The Camp.

D023

This is one of a series of panoramic postcards, although somebody has cut this one in half. Unused and produced by WHS and Son. 82943 A964/714

 

NORTH HILL

1 - 260

North Hill

60191 Harvey Barton

postally unused

2

North Hill

31199 JV

postmarked Sep 1914, Mrs M Jowett, Bingley

3 - 750

North Hill looking north

postmarked 1924

4 -

84344 a 975/715 postally unused

5 - 695

unused, 1060, 10 80904

'The building with the canopy on the left in number 29 North Hill, and is a tailors and outfitters going by the name of Broom's'. John Broom, Barnsley

6 - 450

Postally unused

7 -

Posted September 1955, to Hession? of Massachusetts, printed by Photochrom Co Ltd

8 - 576

postally unused, by Photocrom Co Ltd but compare the similarity with the preceding card dated 1955. Two pubs are shown; the Coach and Horses (demolished) and the Marquis of Granby.

9 - 364

Valentine Series, 31190 JV. posted 17th Sep 1907 to Mrs Dickenson of Newton, Yorks, with mention of Ted and Prissy?

10 - 610

North Hill showing a tram which started running July 28th 1904. Posted 6th Sep 1904 to Mr Harold Preston of Blackpool

11 - 464

Unused card, s6745

12 - 470

card by Cullingford and Co, Colchester, SH 1871. sent August 1914 to Mrs R Whittington of Yiewsley.

13 - 795

385 M Series, 24 Queen Victoria St, London EC, unused but after 1904 as the tram lines can be seen. Edward Broom, Tailor and Hatter on left. J Rutkin. A & L Noy. The Marquis of Granby. Evans further up.

14 - 425

Valentines K823, postally unused. Approx 1950

15 - 427

M and RC unused card of St Peters Church

16 - 129

Frith CCR12 unused card

17 - kb12

Posted May 1905, shows the Coach and horses pub on the right, St Peter's Street on the left. (kindly offered for copy by Kevin Bond)

 

also,

 

A261 - 2199

Sent 18th April 1905 to Miss Pemberton of South Kensington by Katie.

18 - kb14

by Photochrom, 84450, unused

19 - 1200

The Wyndham Series, W7156, sent to L/Sergeant G C Rickword at Sutton Mandeville with a George V stamp. Showing the Marquis of Granby pub as it was before a fire and rebuild around 1914. Truman, Hanbury and Buxton were the owners. There are no tramlines so the date would be around 1903. A sign on the building on the right hand side has the word Chignall (we think).

A297-709

Posted September 1907 to Mrs Mudge of Great Stainbridge by MBS.

A042-125

A photograph not a postcard with a date of August 1965. Bus TVX 496 climbs North Hill. United Dominions Trust to the right.

A052-588

North Hill, HRCL No 11. Daniel and Sons on window of building on left with what looks like Cock and Pye on the sign./ A J Lucking and Co Milliners advertised on the tram. Trevelyan Commercial Hotel on the right and, further down, a sign with the word Spirits, where the Chaise and Pair would have been. Date c1914. Unposted

A129-390

13 42420 card by Jackson and Son of Grimsby, Jay Em Jay Series. unposted

A134-169

84346 card by WHS and Son. Posted in 1907 to Captain G R Mott of Farnborough. The picture looks north with the Castle pub in view.

A216-267

Posted April 1912 to Miss Rasmage? of Regents Park, London. Card by Poyser and Co.

A217-267

Posted January 1914 to Miss M Sales of Brightlingsea by Geo. Card by Art Series A T S, C.

A218-267

Posted July 1907 to Mr J Keymer of Aylsham, Norfolk by Fred. Card by The British Mirror Series 24/5 269.

A222-1069

Unused card by L P THomson of Needham Market. Date around 1960. Trumans sign of the Marquis of Granby pub on the left.

A223-799

Unused card published by H G R C Photo by Gill.. Wagon and Horses pub . Tram no 8.

A315-190

A modern reproduction photograph marked 2009 Colchester North Hill

A322-624

A modern reproduction photograph

More pictures will be added in due course, together with comments. Can any of you identify any particular vehicle, tram, individual, etc?

Sdapeze

page created 220404

updated 150816

 Site Hosted

by

 

web

































































































































































































































































































































































counter